NAM reports that NAFDAC chief executive Professor Moji Adeyeye, who revealed this to reporters on Tuesday, said the products have been certified as harmful for human consumption.
“This was due to an unacceptable level of patulin (a mycotoxin) which had exceeded the maximum limit in fruit juice,” said Adeyeye.
She further explained that the level of patulin content in the affected fruit juice can cause damage to the liver, spleen and kidneys.
According to her, the toxic level would affect the immune system and cause nausea, gastrointestinal upset and vomiting.
She also said the name of the product was Pure Tassie, an organic apple and blackcurrant juice from Australia.
The NAFDAC official urged healthcare professionals and consumers to report any unwanted or side effects associated with the use of this product to the nearest NAFDAC office via NAFDAC PRASCOR (20543 TOLL FREE) for all networks.
“We implore importers, distributors, retailers and consumers to immediately stop the import, distribution, sale and consumption of the affected fruit juice.
“In addition, we call on members of the public who are in possession of the affected fruit juice to submit the stock to the nearest NAFDAC office.
“However, the agency can be contacted via email@example.com or via the NAFDAC ADR e-Reporting platform available at www.nafdac.gov.ng if a problem needs to be reported,” she said. added.