Stay informed and up to date with the latest news in South Africa by checking out all the headlines on Tuesday, September 1.
President Cyril Ramaphosa presented a report on the controversial meeting of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the African National Congress (ANC) which addressed issues of corruption and factional infighting. Meanwhile, former President Jacob Zuma is fighting to avoid another session before the State Capture Commission of Inquiry.
LATEST NEWS OF THE DAY IN SOUTH AFRICA, Tuesday September 1
Ramaphosa: ANC members accused of corruption must resign
President Ramaphosa has stepped up his fight to root out corruption within the ruling party, noting that the NEC has decided to adopt a new prosecution-related leave strategy that would see members facing corruption cases step down from their political roles verdicts pending. The latest resolution comes amid fierce factional infighting along loyalist lines, with past and present ANC leaders berating Ramaphosa for calling the ruling party “the number one defendant.”
Ramaphosa and ANC secretary general Ace Magaushle will be brought before the party’s integrity committee. While Ramaphosa will be forced to answer questions regarding funding for his CR17 campaign – which allegedly relied on exorbitant donations from Bosasa – Magashule will be put on the spot because of his controversial tenure as Prime Minister of the Free State, which includes the damning scandal of the Estina dairy farm.
The NEC meeting, which involved “solid” engagements between high-ranking party members, was followed by a wave of suspensions, including that of ANC MP Bongani Bongo and Nelson Mandela Bay adviser Andile. Lungisa.
In addition, Presidential Minister Jackson Mthembu berated Ekurhuleni Mayor Mzwandile Masina for his comments on the ongoing legal battle between Ramaphosa and the Ombudsman.
Jacob Zuma seeks to ignore Zondo state capture investigation … again
In addition to writing scathing letters to President Ramaphosa ahead of the party’s NEC meeting, Jacob Zuma seeks to escape Judge Raymond Zondo’s reach. Following a particularly difficult session before the State Capture Commission of Inquiry in 2019, Zuma used his team of high-level legal experts to avoid resuming his testimony before Zondo.
The State Capture Commission’s own lawyers, however, requested that Zuma be subpoenaed before Judge Zondo in September. Zuma’s lawyers recently hit back at the Commission, arguing that Zuma could not appear before Zondo on September 9.
The former president has previously avoided resuming his testimony citing health problems and the need for medical treatment abroad.
No bail for police accused of killing Nathaniel Julies, NPA says
Two Gauteng police officers accused of killing disabled teenager Nathaniel Julies in Eldorado Park will remain in detention until at least September 10. The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has said it will oppose all future bail requests.
Sergeant Simon Ndyalvane and Constable Caylene Whiteboy, who briefly appeared in Protea Magistrates’ Court in Soweto on Monday morning, are charged with murder, unloading a firearm in a public place, possession of prohibited ammunition and violation of the ends of justice.
Julies’ murder sent shock waves through the community of Eldorado Park and sparked violent protests that saw residents clash with police. In an attempt to ease growing tensions, Police Minister Bheki Cele addressed the community and pledged that justice would prevail.
Northern Cape Premier rejects PPE tenders
The Prime Minister of the North Cape, Dr Zamani Saul, has distanced himself from reports which suggest he has influenced the allocation of COVID-19 personal protective equipment (PPE) offers in his province.
The Sunday Times reported that the wife of Saul’s special adviser, Mandisa Shushu, had received an offer of R13 million to provide police with one million masks.
The article further alleges that a businessman, Somandla Sibisi, believed to be Saul’s friend, was awarded an offer worth more than R27 million, although ‘he was struck off by the Commission for Enterprises and Intellectual Property (CIPC) for non-compliance.
“I want to say at the outset that I am not engaging in nasty looting of public resources. I have great respect for my fiduciary role as premier of the province, ”Saul said in a statement Monday.
He described the article as embarking on “a futile attempt and savage pursuit to bond between me and the two people who won the PPE tenders.”
“At no time have I been involved or attempted to influence the purchasing processes within the Department of Health or the South African Police Service (SAPS) for the benefit of certain people.
“I have no role in the management of SAPS and in the way they issue tenders, because SAPS is a national competence,” he explained.
He also refuted claims that he was a close friend of Sibisi.
“I challenge anyone with information to the contrary to come to the fore. I identify with him like any other businessman in the province, whom I meet in most cases at ANC events and state addresses in the province. I do not have a professional, personal or professional relationship with him.
Saul said he learned through social media of the contract awarded to the wife of his special advisor, Norman Shushu. (Source: SAnews)
LATEST WEATHER FORECASTS, Tuesday, September 1
Take a look at the weather forecast for the nine provinces .
LIVE TRAFFIC UPDATES FOR CAPE TOWN, JOHANNESBURG AND DURBAN
Stay ahead of traffic by checking out our live traffic updates .