Ready in 20 minutes, this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is easy to prepare, uses minimal ingredients and will be enjoyed by the whole family. Options for cooker or slow cooker versions also depending on the tools you have.
March is always a strange time to share recipes. In some parts of North America it is full spring, while in others there is still snow on the ground. I’m more aware of this after spending 4 years in San Francisco, where the weather conditions don’t seem to match those of the rest of the world.
It also means you’ll get springtime recipes like this Lemon Poppyseed Bread mixed with a warm comforting soup and chili recipes like this Instant White Chicken Chili. This white chicken chili has been part of our meal plan for a few months as I tested it out and it took a little longer than usual to nail it down. So even though spring is in full swing in some places, I will be here in Minnesota eating my chili and living my best life!
What you need for an instant white chicken chili
- Chicken breasts
- Yellow onion
- Cloves of garlic
- White beans
- Canned green peppers
- Corn kernels – canned or frozen
- Chicken stock
- Spices: cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt
- Lime juice
- Optional garnishes: cilantro, jalapeno, grated cheese, tortilla chips, etc.
Which instant pot can you use?
Any instant pot or pressure cooker can be used for this recipe. I have the Classic 7 in 1 Instant Pot Duo and I absolutely adore it. Mine is the 8 qt version but you can make this white chicken chili in any version.
Pro tip: Just press the “Pressure cooker” button. Make sure it is set to high, then close the valve. When cooking is complete (after 10 minutes), release quickly. this ensures that the chicken stays moist and does not dry out.
How to make instant white chicken chili
STEP 1: Add the following ingredients to your Instant Pot in this order: onion, garlic, white beans, green peppers, corn kernels and top with chicken. Pour the chicken broth on top and stir in the spices. Close the lid and the clove. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook at high heat for 10 minutes.
2ND STEP: When finished, quick release valve to release all the pressure. Remove the top and use tongs to remove your chicken from the rest of the ingredients. On a cutting board, use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
STEP 3: Return chicken to Instant Pot and garnish with lime juice and cilantro (if desired). Stir until everything is well combined. Serve with optional garnishes.
How to do on the stove
This white chicken chili can also be made on the stovetop. You will actually start by cooking the onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Then top with all your ingredients but you’ll want to add 2-3 cups of chicken broth instead of 1 1/2 cups. Just make sure the chicken is completely covered. Bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately lower to a boil. Cook the chicken for about 8 to 12 minutes. You’ll want to check once the chicken is white on the inside and the juices are clear. If you have a thermometer, you know your chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees F.
Remove the chicken and shred it into pieces before returning it to the pan. Garnish with lime juice and toss to combine. Here is! White chicken chili on the stove.
How to cook in the slow cooker
Making white chicken chili in the slow cooker is similar to making it in the instant casserole. You will add all of your ingredients as in your Instant Pot (using only 1 cup of broth), then cook on low heat for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Remove the chicken, grate it and put it back. Stir in your lime juice and you’re done! White chicken chili in your slow cooker. You can also use your Instant Pot as a slow cooker, but honestly it tastes just as good when you pressure cook it.
More instant pot recipes
It’s no secret that I love my Instant Pot. Here are some of my favorite Instant Pot recipes:
Instant White Chicken Chili
Ready in 20 minutes, this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is easy to prepare, uses minimal ingredients, and will be enjoyed by the whole family. Options for cooker or slow cooker versions also depending on the tools you have.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 portions 1X
- Category: Having dinner
- Method: Pressure cooking
- Diet: Gluten free
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (coarsely 1 kg)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 15 oz can of white beans (cannellini or large Nordic beans)
- 1 4 oz green peppers, diced
- 2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice, 1 lime
- optional garnishes: coriander, jalapeno, grated cheese, tortilla chips etc …
- Add the following ingredients to your Instant Pot in this order: onion, garlic, white beans, green peppers, corn kernels and top with chicken.
- Pour the chicken broth on top and stir in the spices.
- Seal the lid and the clove. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook at high heat for 10 minutes.
- When finished, quick release valve to release all the pressure.
- Remove the top and use tongs to remove your chicken from the rest of the ingredients.
- On a cutting board, use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Return chicken to Instant Pot and garnish with lime juice and cilantro (if desired). Stir until everything is well combined.
- Serve with optional garnishes.
- Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freezes for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Instant Pot White Chicken Chili, White Chicken Chili, Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili
Do you like this white chicken chili? Here are a few more that you might like:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join over 20,000 THM community members for access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind the scenes news from our team!