These Morning Glory muffins are gluten-free and packed with nutrients to make a delicious, healthy breakfast on the go! They are also exceptionally delicious and tasty.
“What is the story of the morning glory?” If you ask me this first thing in the morning, there’s a 90% chance I won’t answer you.
I’m certainly not a morning person and especially not a morning chatterer. But here’s the thing, I’m not a night owl either. I am a middle of the day person. My dream scenario is to go to bed at 11:00 p.m. and wake up at 8:00 a.m. My best job tends to be between 10 p.m. and 3 p.m. We need a name for these kinds of people!
So what Is get me excited to wake up in the morning and start my day? A delicious breakfast. These morning glory muffins fall 100% into this category. I love the flavor and texture of these hearty, filling muffins!
Why is it called a morning glory muffin?
I’m always curious about how the foods got their name! These muffins were first created at the Morning Glory Cafe in Nantucket. Since their beginnings in the restaurant they have been featured in countless magazine articles and now in blogs! The original recipe was made with grated coconut, raisins, apples, pineapples, carrots and nuts (as well as basic ingredients for muffins) but I decided to change it up a bit and to use carrots, apples, bananas, raisins and nuts. You can not be wrong!
Morning Glory Muffin Ingredients
- coconut sugar – brown sugar also works.
- banana – make sure your banana is VERY ripe! The darker the better.
- unsweetened almond milk – can exchange for another milk without dairy products if you wish.
- nuts or pecans – I love the pecans in this recipe but you can swap for another nut of your choice.
- baking soda and baking powder
- ground cinnamon and ground ginger
How To Make Morning Glory Muffins From Scratch
STEP 1: Combine the dry ingredients (oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt) in a large bowl.
2ND STEP: In another bowl, combine the mashed bananas, almond milk, egg and vanilla extract. Stir carrot, apple, nuts and raisins into wet mixture.
STEP 3: Line a muffin pan with liners or spray with nonstick spray. Pour the batter into each cup until they are all filled. Bake at 350 ° F for 20 to 25 minutes.
STEP 4: Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store Morning Glory muffins
After allowing Morning Glory muffins to cool completely, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure they have cooled completely before putting them away or you will end up with soggy muffins from condensation and no one likes soggy muffins.
Morning Glory Muffins
These Morning Glory Muffins are gluten-free and packed with nutrients to make a delicious, healthy breakfast on the go! They are also exceptionally delicious and tasty.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1X
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cook
- Diet: Gluten free
- 2 cups oatmeal (ground oatmeal) *
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 big egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot (approximately 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 cup grated apple (approximately 1/2 big apple)
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the mashed bananas, almond milk, coconut oil, egg and vanilla.
- Add the dry wet mix and stir until combined.
- Stir in carrot, apple, nuts and grated raisins into mixture.
- Line a muffin pan with liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 min.
- Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store up to 5 days in an airtight container or in the freezer for months.
* You can also use regular white flour.
Keywords: Healthy Morning Glory Muffins, Morning Glory Muffins, Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins